Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Funny or Just Ironic: You Decide

I came across this comic this morning, and it made me laugh. I'm not sure why, but it does raise an interesting question:


Obviously, "Get Fuzzy" is, on some level, trivializing the liturgical vesture of the Vicar of Christ.  Yeah, I get that.  And notice how no one ever makes fun of other religions for their liturgical headgear.  Take, for instance, the Pope next to the Patriarch of Moscow:
  vs.

It occurs to me that perhaps people find it more amusing to make fun of the Holy Father because he is a target worth aiming at.  He is relevant.  He is outspoken.  And he rarely says things that please the vocal, but misguided, social Left.  All in all, perhaps it's not bad that people will stoop even to making fun of his vesture, which has existed since well-before the New York Times, CNN, or even "Get Fuzzy."

For my own part, I've read "Get Fuzzy" for years, and I'll continue to do so, because I don't believe that it's satirizing our Faith to criticize it, nor does it advocate extreme social or moral positions which stand in opposition to the Church.  But I had to laugh, because it is an interesting question.  Is the Pope's hat actually funny, or is it just ironic?  It's hard to say.  But this much is true...the Holy Father could always wear a less ironic or funny hat, and really give the Left something to cry about:


No comments:

Post a Comment